In order to maintain your health certification for your commercial drivers’ license (CDL), you will be required to undergo periodic physical examinations set by the Department of Transportation. All operators of commercial vehicles, whether in-state or across state lines, or operating vehicles over 10,000 pounds will need to have an updated physical. At AFC Urgent Care Thornton, our staff is able to perform DOT physicals following protocols set by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Act (FMCSA) as well as local businesses and organizations.
What to expect during a DOT Physical
During your DOT physical, the following will be performed:
- Blood pressure screening: to pass your physical, drivers must have a blood pressure reading of below 140/90. In order to make sure accurate results are reported, two readings will be taken during your physical.
- Pulse reading: your doctor will check your pulse to make sure it is steady, which can reflect your cardiac function.
- Vision and hearing: commercial drivers will need to have at least 20/40 vision in each eye, with or without corrective lenses. Drivers will also need to prove that they can tell the difference between different traffic lights and signals. In addition, drivers will need to be able to hear a forced whisper from five feet away with a loss of less than 40 decibels in each year, with or without the use of hearing aids.
- Lab testing: Our lab will be able to test a urine sample for blood, glucose, proteins and drugs if required by your employer. This can help diagnose previously undetected conditions such as diabetes or infections, allowing us to begin treatment as soon as possible due to the potential to affect your driving ability.
- Reflex check: This will help check your response time as well as extremity function.
DOT Physicals for Commercial Drivers in Thornton, CO
If you are applying for or are renewing your commercial drivers license, visit AFC Urgent Care Thornton for a DOT physical. We work with companies in Thornton, Broomfield, Henderson, Westminster and the surrounding communities in order to make sure employees are kept healthy and safe. Our center is open seven days a week with convenient evening and weekend hours, so patients do not need to worry about taking time out of their workday or missing a shift. For questions, please call 720-751-2910.